Sunday 6 December 2020
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
£8 or £4 or £0 – please pay what you can: wegottickets.com/ashburtonarts
This local band has got a couple of gigs under its collective belt now, and is settling in to this residency on the first Sunday afternoon of the month
“This is a swinging sextet whose “Le jazz hot”, prior to the Covid lockdown, had been attracting a lot of attention, and many favourable comments, from audiences and dancers throughout the South-West and beyond. Now they’re re-emerging…
“The Riviera is the English Riviera, of course, Torbay and the South Devon coastal region. Veteran band leader and trumpeter, John Shillito is a former Ashburton resident who now lives in Totnes, and all the other members are locals, too, from Ashburton, Buckfastleigh, Newton Abbot and Teignmouth. All are seasoned professional musicians with successful long careers, and who retain enthusiasm and affection for their music. The band has a very accessible and musical repertoire, much of it originating from the sounds of the Swing era of the 1930s and 40s. The front line brass and reeds blend with empathy and energy, buoyed by a pulsating rhythm section that adds echoes of Parisian “manouche / gypsy” jazz of the Hot Club of France.
The band has a “free and easy” ensemble sound, but it’s created with care and warmth as the musicians listen, relate and share fun with each other, and with their audiences. The tunes you’ll hear are melodic, memorable and foot-tapping, with occasional engaging vocals from John and Zoe. You’ll find it a very listenable and danceable ensemble, whose music originates out of New Orleans and comes via Harlem, via Paris and, of course, via Torbay. Rhythmic or romantic, sentimental or swinging, bluesey or bright and breezy, the Riviera Ramblers are happy to make their music for your pleasure.”
“From the very first number I was quickly aware that I was listening to an exceptional band.”
- Seating: if you’re coming with others and want to sit together an a ‘bubble’, please book tickets under the same name, or email email@example.com to let us know which bookings should be seated together. Groups of more than 2 may be assigned reserved seating – please check.
- The audience will be limited, and seats arranged in a socially-distanced way, 1m – 2m between bubbles.
- The hall will be well-ventilated (doors and windows open), so while there will also be some heating, please dress warmly.
- Face masks should be worn when inside the building, except when eating or drinking.
- There will be at-seat service from the bar.
- At the interval, please remain seated.
- If you use the loos at the Arts Centre, please be aware that they have limited ventilation.
- Soap and water, and hand sanitser are provided: please use them.